Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Bummer...

Sorry it's been so long since my last post. I've been pretty bummed out on my performance at the Shamrock Marathon. I'm pleased to have finished my third Marathon, however, really wanted a 3:30. Instead I settled for a 4:15 finish.

I don't even really know what happened. I was on pace up through 15, then my left knee started hurting REALLY bad. I had to pull up, thinking that I'll be okay after a few minutes of a slightly slower pace. I let Kev and Jen go with the thought of picking it up after things felt better. I was hoping that the 5 miles in direct headwind, partly on the concrete boardwalk, would not completely kill my form for the later stage of the race.

Did I mention that I HATE THE WIND? We've had the worst winds around Richmond in the last three months. A buddy of mine from Indiana was asking "is it always this windy in Richmond?" Have we become the new "windy city"? With my luck, it'll be 40+mph winds in the middle of July at Lake Placid!

But I digress.

After a couple miles at a slower pace, I fall back into the 3:40 pace group. At this point, I'd be happy to be in this group and pull away with 3 or 4 to go. Well, my knee thought otherwise. About 18 I had fallen off the 3:40 group. Then about 20, I was left to walking. Boy did it get cold once I had to start walking. I jogged some, but spent a lot of time walking that last 10K. Also having to take small breaks to kneel down or just stop, as the pain was terrible. The wind was just whipping off the coast, it was cloudy, and in the 40's. After the race, Kev commented that at least it wasn't raining. I said "if it had started raining after I started walking, I would have flagged down the nearest volunteer for a ride back to the finish". I've never felt like that in a race. I was devastated. Nutritionally, I was fine. Breathing, muscles, speed, pace, everything was totally fine. I was just so mad that I couldn't run what I feel I'm capable of running, and it had to do with something I've never had trouble with. I've had right hip trouble in the past, but have gotten stronger and not had issues with it in over a year. And I've never had trouble with either knee. Since January, I've finished the 35K (about 22 miles) trail race, and 2 20 mile runs with no issues. It's still a little sore today, three days later, so I hope Dr. Stadler and Karen can fix me up.

The only thing that did make me smile in that last 10K was walking past these two women cheering the runners on. "Good job #683, you are looking good, and we mean REAL good", "You go ahead and keep walking, we'll be okay just watching", and finally "You make that outfit look REALLY good". As mad as I was, I thanked them with a big smile. I may not have finished at 3:30, but at least I look good!

0 Comments: