Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Amazing!

So far, these Olympics have been amazing!

First, in swimming, was Michael Phelps winning an unprecedented 8 gold medals. He broke 7 world records and 1 Olympic record. I don't think we'll ever see a performance like that. His races were edge of your seat excitement. His team, anchored by Jason Lezak, catching and passing the French in the 4x100m Freestyle relay. Winning by a fingernail in the 100m Butterfly. Then there's Natalie Coughlin becoming the first ever US female to win 6 medals at a single Olympics. Finally, the amazing Dara Torres, at 41 years old, just barely missing gold.

My favorite, Track & Field, didn't disappoint. Most of you might know that I ran Track in High School and at Virginia Tech. I was a sprinter, hurdler, and pole vaulter in High School. The pole vault was my event at Virginia Tech. In all my years racing and following Track & Field, I've never seen someone win a 100m final by the margin that Usain Bolt did. It's a shame that he started show-boating before he even finished. I really wanted to see how fast he could have gone. It was a pleasure to see him break Michael Johnson's 200m record. Another fantastic world record to watch was Yelena Isinbayeva of Russia clearing 16' 6 3/4" in the women's pole vault.

It's almost midnight and I just got finished watching Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh in the gold medal match of Beach Volleyball. That was more than worth it to stay up for. What an awesome finish! I believe that those two are the best Beach Volleyball team, men or women. They are undefeated in all of 2008 and something like 458-18 since winning gold in 2004! That's crazy!

Now I need some sleep...

2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations from the Cuban delegation (your family).
Seriously is easy to see you are in great shape.
The kids are beautiful and so is Nikki.
YOU GO IRONMAN!!!!

Love your cousing Nini

Anonymous said...

Really, I do know how to SPELL.

Here we go again,

Your COUSIN,
Nini