Sunday, June 28, 2009

DNS

As I sit here typing this, my fellow triathletes are swimming, biking, and running at the Tavern Tri. I was supposed to be there too. I love that race! I even went to packet pick-up and got my packet just to feel something normal. Man, I really wanted to race today! Got my first DNS (Did Not Start) today, but I gotta put my health first.


Last Saturday afternoon, I was more than an uncomfortable sore from my early morning brick and wasn't sure what was wrong. I chalked it up to being really tired as I wasn't sleeping well. Father's day went great (I got an awesome photography book!), but by the evening I was feeling as if I'd been run over by a truck. I checked my temp and it was at 100.4! Yikes! I never get sick, at least haven't in over 4 years. Went to the Dr. on Monday with a 101 fever and after checking for the flu and strep, both of which were negative, they did some blood work to check my white blood cell count. When that came back not showing a bacterial infection, I was sent home with a "random virus" to take Advil and get more rest.

By Wednesday, I had developed this really annoying, dry cough. Sometimes, I get stuck coughing for what feels like an eternity. Not fun! During one of my coughing fits later that evening, I heard Logan crying really hard. When I could breath, I walked over to him and he gave me a great big hug. He said "Daddy, I didn't think Superman could get sick." Tears just welled up. It dawned on me that he's never seen me sick, ever. I said "Logan, sometimes even Superman gets sick."

By Friday, Nikki had me convinced that there was something else going on. Saturday morning I headed to Patient First. The Dr. listened to my breathing and had me do a breath test. I then had chest x-rays taken. Seems my training is going well as they had to take a top and bottom x-ray as the tech mentioned, "just as I thought, you have large lungs." He could now see the small patch of pneumonia I have in my bottom left lung. One more blood test to ensure it wasn't really bad and off I go with antibiotics and an inhaler.

Yeah, walking pneumonia! Good times. I feel that since I haven't been sick in over 4 years, I better go ahead and make this one count! I'm just glad that after a week they've found the shard of Kryptonite, and I now have something to remove all traces of it. ; )

2 Comments:

Abi said...

Sorry you were so sick, ever since you were a little boy, when you didn't feel good, you didn't complain, and I had to drag you to the Dr's, because I new you were sick!!!You've always been SUPERMAN!!!Logan's story is priceless, how sensitive and loving he is!!!God Bless all of you and take care of yourself!!!Love you guys, Abi

TriGirl 40 said...

You did the right thing - take care of yourself and get well. Show sweet Logan how Superman also recovers better than ever!